Friday, March 03, 2006

A DEBUTANT's STORY








A week of an-academic life has just gone. But more weeks are still waiting. I am pushing my luck and effort to the limit. Absolutely no space for giving up nor walk over. This is not only for me..not only for my dignity..but this if also for my countrymen as well as for my nation's better life.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Financial reporting and statement analysis
This is the only subject that related to my accounting background. It will discuss about financial reporting analysis as well as the current trend of accounting environment. This course is absolutely interesting, especially with a broad discussion on several companies financial reporting issues in which some of are related to certain breach on accounting practice. I got 2 presentations-regarded to the companies financial reporting issues and 1 project as well as 1 examination at the end of the course. My major project is preparing an analysis report on "Village Roadshow Ltd" an ASX company which controls entertainment and media business in Australia. On top of that, I also have a thorough evaluation and recommendation upon the company performance.
Funds Management
This is subject is a core subject for Master of Applied Finance & Master of Banking. However, I could choose it as my elective subject. This course will talk about the role of a fund manager in order to optimise his/her investor return. In addition, it will talk about the portfolio management as well as financial engineering process. This course required 1 presentation and 1 report for a designated study case and an examination at the end of the course. The lecture, Dr. Kok Fai Phoon is a well known financial advisor who also helped PT Indosat Tbk when it was privatised in early 2000.
Advance Investment
Another tough, demanding yet challenging subject. This lecture is usually taken by students at the last semester..^_^ but guess what? I took it in my first semester! Basically this subject will discuss various technique of investment valuation for any financial assets. We will have 5-6 laboratory class where we will apply some technical investment calculation..hmm..sound very challenging isn't it? In this course, I have to prepare 1 presentation and 1 analysis report, stock report for sure and examination at the end of the course. For analysis report purposes, I got an ASX company: "Australian Parmacheuticals Industrt Ltd". In that report, I should compose a "business style" stock report, including the recommendation to buy or sell! Surely, with in depth analysis and strong investment calculation..;)
Well, let see..after finishing this subject, I can make a stock report on a JSX company or not..;)
Financial Market and Long Term Funding
This one is the boring one. Its quite a seminar style rather than a practical style. This course will be talking about the financial market institution: domestic, foreign and global as well as the alternative for long term funding such as bonds and hedge funds. This is the only subject that has a tutorial class. So, it will be 2 hours lecture and 1 hour tutorial. I have to prepare 1 individual case study and 1 group case study as well as examination in the end of the couse. Although it was a bit boring, I am quite happy to study in, because the lecture material is quite basic and more on theoritical approach. Hence, I can build a strong foundation of knowledge on finance system.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overall, it was a bit edgy when I started my first week, but at the end it was quite fun and interesting. I hope I can enjoy my study here and SURVIVE!. Above all, hopefully I can get good knowledge, sound skill and reasonable grade from those subjects.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mas Gatot, cerita sedikit tentang pengalaman IAP dan waktu hunting house, mungkin berguna bagi para APS 8weeks yang akan ke melbourne Juni nanti!

Gatoso said...

Beress pak! kecill...segera terbit tulisannya nanti...